WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
- It is about creating dignified living for all citizens with the key aim towards optimizing;
- Environmental benefits, counter global warming and the greenhouse effect;
- The beautification of living spaces with added benefit of creating community pride;
- The rehabilitation of disturbed and neglected areas;
- Supplementing food security;
- Foster respect for the environment through educational projects;
- Drive towards home-style communities;
- Foster inclusivity and create community corridors linking various groups;
- To contribute to a green economy by the creation of job opportunities.
WHERE ARE WE DOING THIS?
We are planting trees within the Stellenbosch Municipal area which includes Franschhoek, Klapmuts, Pniel, Jamestown, Raithby and the hamlets. This covers the entire area of 900km² with a key focus in the informal settlements, previously disadvantaged-and riverine areas.
HOW ARE WE DOING THIS?
- Tree surveys of tree planting opportunities in suburbs;
- Inviting schools and university participation during arbor week and environmental programs;
- Utilising big events to promote tree planting;
- Public involvement - adopt / register / volunteer / donate via our website www.milliontrees.co.za;
- Encourage public ownership recognizing participation through the tree tag system - this includes new private housing projects;
- Monthly green stakeholders meetings;
- New housing and informal settlement projects;
- Forging credible partnerships
- Who is doing the project?
Stellenbosch Municipality as local authority with all its residents and external partners, situated in the Cape Winelands of the Boland.
WHAT ARE WE DOING?
Stellenbosch Municipality is making an unprecedented statement in terms of its commitment to care for the environment.